The full moon is one of the most breathtaking sights in the sky, and yet most people find capturing interesting photos of it to be a surprisingly difficult challenge. In this fun and exciting landscape photography workshop you will learn how to overcome the major challenges of shooting the moon so that you can create truly stunning and one-of-a-kind photographs.
This workshop is made of field sessions and classroom sessions. In the classroom we will learn everything that goes into making beautiful moon photographs, including the required gear, using the PhotoPills App, artistic and technical approaches to shooting the moon, understanding the moon's motion, planning the shot, problem solving, and best practices. We will work together as a group to plan our shots, then go into the field to bring them to life! During the week we will have as many as five opportunities to photograph the moon in alignment with the wonderful natural and manmade features of the Apostle Islands. All our shoots will take place around sunrise and sunset, allowing us fantastic opportunities for landscape photography in addition to shooting the moon. During the day we will also have opportunities to discuss post-processing and the meaning of life.
In this workshop you will learn:
- The 4 main reasons the moon is can be difficult to shoot.
- Exactly how to overcome those 4 challenges, and to laugh in their face!
- What makes the best subjects to align with the moon.
- When and how to shoot to the moon.
- How to predict exactly where the moon is going to be, and how to create a plan for epic moon photos.
- Best practices for getting good detail, sharpness, and color in your moon photos.
- Landscape photography fundamentals like finding a good subject, knowing what goes into a strong composition, and using light and camera technique to bring out the best in your images.
- Josh's unique approach to photographic storytelling and how it enables you to shoot photos that are not just beautiful, but also bring out your inner artist.
- Bonus: How to make the world's best guacamole (if we have time!)