- Please bring photos, pictures, sketches, or other subject material relevant to the design of your quilt.
- Sewing Machine in good working order, machine manual, tools and accessories including a darning foot, open toed embroidery foot and walking foot.
- Pen and notebook
- Pencil (2B), eraser, scotch tape, black medium felt tipped marker (Sharpie)
- Large sheet of white paper - needs to be at least as big as proposed quilt size.
- Rotary cutter, patchwork ruler, cutting board, optional small square (6 ½ or 4 ½ inches)
- 1 yard of non-iron wide Tear Away (metre)
- 2 yards (metres) of Freezer Paper
- 2 yards (metres) of 24 inch wide Fusible web Steam a seam 2 Lite is recommended.
- Nylon thread – YLI Wonder Invisible thread ( clear) or Monopoly recommended
- Neutral coloured thread to blend with background fabrics
- Machine threads – to match foreground fabrics.
- Machine needles – size 60 microtex or universal, size 80 and 80 topstitch needles
- Scissors fabric and paper. Small sharp scissors
- Quick unpick (seam ripper)
- Colour wheel – available from an art supplies shop
- A few two inch foam brushes (usually available from Joanne’s, Spotlight)
- A small paint brush
- Large plastic water jar
- Plastic plate (for painting palette)
- Rag, sponge or Chux for cleaning up, Apron
- Appliqué mat or sheets of baking paper
- For hand painting fabric, bring 1 yard (metre) of white cotton fabric.
- Also bring a range of fabrics that blend well together in the colours needed for the background. Tone on tone, Batiks, landscape prints (e.g. Fossil Fern), and hand-dyed fabrics work well together.
The important thing is for the fabrics to blend or overlap so that the colour graduations are quite subtle.
- Choose fabrics to match your foreground details such as flowers, rocks, trunks or other abstract shapes
Backing and Batting
- Small project - Thin batting and backing fabric 18ins x 24ins
- Large project - The backing fabric and batting need to be slightly larger than proposed quilt size.
*Note - There will be suitable hand dyed fabrics and variegated threads for sale in class