The Apostle Islands National Lakeshore consists of a stretch of shoreline and 22 islands in the southwestern portion of Lake Superior at the tip of northern Wisconsin. We will be based out of Madeline Island for the duration of this adventure. I am extremely honored to be working with the Madeline Island School of Arts (MISA) to conduct this workshop in this magical location. MISA also has lodging options on site making this very convenient, and it allows us flexibility, tons of time together, and plenty of shooting opportunities on Madeline Island. This 5 day, 4 night workshop is a highlight for me in 2019!
I am beyond excited to explore this “Hidden Gem” in the National Park Service with you, while helping you learn to master the art of night sky photography. The workshop dates have been carefully selected for many reasons including moon phases, meteor showers, rise and set times, weather, temperatures, geographical location and current space weather events. We will be in the northern US where the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) are often seen close to the autumn and spring equinoxes. This workshop has great potential for many amazing photo opportunities; you simply do not want to miss out!
Most of the shooting will be done on Madeline Island, which has plenty of interesting areas for night sky photography. We will also take a boat ride out the afternoon of the 25th to Devils Island where we will photograph the Devils Island Sea caves at sunset before being dropped off on another Apostle Island for an overnight shoot! If the weather is poor on the 25th, we will move that to the following night (26th). Not only will we learn how to capture the Milky Way, star trails, panoramas, time-Lapse video, and meteor showers, we will also have plenty of time to cover the post processing workflow and techniques used to finalize your images
One of the most important things to think about is how you will process your images after you create them. Processing your images is a very important part of night sky photography. We will spend time each day to go over processing techniques in Adobe Lightroom and in Adobe CC.
This workshop will leave you with a better understanding of the night sky, your camera, your computer and yourself, not to mention some new friends. I look forward to experiencing the endless possibilities of night sky photography in the Apostle Islands with you in September 2019. It's going to be the trip of a lifetime and I cannot wait to share it with you!
WHAT IS INDLUDED IN THIS WORKSHOP
- Milky way photography every night (weather permitting)
- Light painting techniques and demonstrations
- Time-lapse photography / star trail photography
- How to illuminate a scene for time-lapse photography at night
- How to photograph night sky panoramas
- How to focus at night
- How to find the milky way all year long
- Multiple shooting locations
- Full day post production work in Adobe Lightroom and Adobe CC
- Daily critiques on our images
- Commercial permits
- Boat ride to Devils Island Sunset Sea Cave Shoot
- Boat ride to an overnight shoot on one of the other Apostle Islands
- Online video tutorials on how to process your images, star trails, timelapse and panoramas
- Sunset and sunrise photo shoots
- Maps and PDF packets on camera settings and tips on Night Sky Photography
- Big Bay State Park night sky shoots and other scenic areas on Madeline Island