Panels/Canvas: You’ll need 8-12 panels or stretched canvases 8x10 or similar size (6x8). Substrate could be Canvas, Linen, or Masonite your choice. We will be focusing on doing at least 3-4 color notes a day. It is always better to have too many panels than not enough. Tonal Ground on canvas / panel is optional but recommended for color notes.
• Paints: Your usual palette is fine and any brand.
Suggested Limited Palette: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Pale, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Naphthol Red Light, Ultramarine Blue.
• Portable Easel: Such as EASyL, Open Box M, Beauport, Soltek, Guerrilla, French, etc.
• Palette: To mix your paint. Either seperate, hand held, or mounted in your box. Palette knife for cleaning off palette.
• Brushes: Synthetic or Hog bristles for Oils - Your preference
• Odorless Mineral Spirits: Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits are always recommended for inside studio work, however when doing plein air work, everyday Odorless Mineral Spirits from a hardware store are fine.
• Turp Cup: Container or brush cleaner for Odorless Mineral Spirits.
• Paper Towels or rags: Viva brand is recommended.
• Vine Charcoal: Medium stick
• Umbrella: Optional - try to avoid any colorful umbrellas, black or gray preferred.
• Extras: Hat, Sunscreen, Small Trash bags, Bug Spray, Small Clamps, Bungie Cords, Sketch pad for notes, fold up chair for demos, and plenty of liquids to drink. With plein air it is always nice to be prepared and have a couple of small clamps and bungie cords to help weight down your easel
KEN’S SET UP
• Easel: Beauport “Gloucester Style”
• Palette: Hand held, wood primed with Linseed Oil
• Panels: Oil Primed Linen Panels, Tonal Ground
• Paints: Utrecht, Gamblin, Winsor Newton Titanium White, Zinc Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Pale, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Orange Hue, Naphthol Red Light, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Prussian Blue, Ivory Black, Transparent Iron Oxide Red.
• Brushes: Utrecht 235- Fil Sablette - (softer than Hog bristle) Rosemary Co. Ivory Series - Filberts 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
• Mineral Spirits: Gamsol Odorless Minerla Spirits
• Small Metal Turp Cup: To hold Mineral Spirits, hardware screening at the bottom.
• Vine Charcaol: Medium stick, to sketch in design.
• Umbrella: Shade Buddy from Judsons Outfitters